One of the things that the Barn Owl loves doing with the kids is making chocolate chip cookies. It is just tons of messy fun for him.
I am always amazed by the careless way that the Barn Owl follows (or doesn’t follow) recipes, generally doing everything by approximation and haphazardly slinging ingredients into the mixing bowl – and it always turns out tasting delicious!
Here is the Barn Owl’s chocolate chip cookies recipe. These cookies are a favourite in our household – slightly crisp on the outside and melt-in-the-mouth chewy on the inside!
The Barn Owl’s Carelessly-made Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
Barn Owl’s advisory note #1: Don’t bother to accurately measure anything
- 2 1/4cups of plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Most of a block of unsalted butter (about 225-250g or 1 cup)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
Barn Owl’s advisory note #2: If you have no dark chocolate chips, get a bar of dark chocolate and smash it to pieces with a hammer. Or a mallet. Whatever.
- Baking sheet
- Greaseproof paper
- Mix butter, sugar, vanilla and eggs together until smooth and you can’t see the sugar anymore
- Add flour and baking soda and mix together until you can’t see the flour anymore
- Eat some of the chocolate chips or chocolate pieces
- Stir in the rest of the chocolate chips or chocolate pieces.
- Refrain from eating raw cookie dough – it’s bad for you
- Line baking sheet/tray with greaseproof paper
- Using a tablespoon, dish out spoon sized portions of cookie dough and drop onto the tray with each lump of dough about 2 inches apart
- Bake in oven for 8-10 minutes
- Remove from oven and cool for 1-2 minutes before eating (or scarf them down straight away – whatever works for you!)